Monsummano was founded by Grand Duke Ferdinando and his architect, Gherardo Mechini.
In 1602, Grand Duke Ferdinando gave Gherardo the commission to build a huge SANCTUARY in honour of "MADONNA della FONTENUOVA".
Mechini designed a monumental church, Latin cross shaped,
surrounded by a large portico and a huge square for holding
crowds of pilgrims. The "CASA DEI CANONICI"
and "OSTERIA DEI PELLEGRINI" were built facing
this Sanctuary. Monsummano took its initial shape as a
result of these projects.
"CASA GIUSTI" was built in 18th century and today is a museum while "VILLA MARTINI" was built in 19th century and today is home to a cultural center.